Austria: Court declares raids on Muslim Brotherhood’s headquarters illegal, says group not a terrorist organisation

This photo taken on November 9, 2020 in Graz, Austria, shows the Liga Kulturverein, where a police raid, dubbed Operation Luxor, took place in the early morning. - Austrian police launched raids on more than 60 addresses allegedly linked to radical Islamists in four different regions on November 9, with orders given for 30 suspects to be questioned, prosecutors said. The Styria region prosecutors' office said in a statement it was "carrying out investigations against more than 70 suspects and against several associations which are suspected of belonging to and supporting the terrorist Muslim Brotherhood and Hamas organisations". (Photo by ERWIN SCHERIAU / APA / AFP) / Austria OUT

An Austrian court ruled this week that the Muslim Brotherhood is not to be regarded as a terrorist organisation in the country, Anadolu has reported.

Raids carried out by Austrian police last year against Muslim activists and academics under the pretext of fighting terrorism were thus declared to be unlawful.

Graz Higher Regional Court spokesperson Elisabeth Dieber told reporters that the complaints lodged by nine people whose homes were raided by the police last year on the grounds that they provided financial support for terrorism and had relations with terrorist organisations were deemed to be justified by the court. She added that the raids, in which police used a disproportionate amount of force, were, therefore, not lawful.

The court touched on the prosecution’s accusation that the people were members of the Palestinian Islamic Resistance Movement, Hamas, and the Muslim Brotherhood. However, it was judged that the Brotherhood is not considered to be a terrorist organisation in Austria.

Vienna police raided 60 addresses on 9 November 2020 and detained 30 Muslim activists and academics in what was dubbed “Operation Luxor”. They were accused of “establishing a terrorist organisation, financial support for terrorism, organised crime formation and money laundering.”

The police use of disproportionate force against well-known individuals who were treated as terrorists led to NGOs, journalists and writers calling for the issue to be clarified as a matter of urgency. The excessive force has left its mark on family members. At least ten children have since been treated for mental health issues. The families have also had financial problems because their bank accounts were blocked following the raids.

READ ALSO...  Israel kills three Palestinians in besieged Gaza Strip

 

– Middle East Monitor

 

Finalists for Nigerian Muslim Personalities of the Year (#MNAwards20242025)

Sponsored

SUPPORT MUSLIM NEWS NIGERIA

With your generous financial contributions to MUSLIM NEWS, you are helping to sustain a culture of journalistic integrity that promotes tranquil Islamic values and ensures it remains free and available to all.

BANK TRANSFER

Rawshield PR Company

0568624004

Guaranty Trust Bank

Sponsored

By Muslim News Nigeria

Muslim News, a publication of Rawshield PR Media, is a mouthpiece for underreported Muslim achievers and events in Nigeria and across the world, which are never given prominence in the mainstream media.

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *