The Kwara State Governor, Alhaji AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq has said that the state may review and strengthen all relevant laws to ensure that anyone convicted of kidnapping is swiftly and severely punished in accordance with the law, keeping in mind the need to ensure the security of life and property in the state.
This was contained in a statement issued on Friday evening by the Chief Press Secretary to the State Governor, Mr Rafiu Ajakaye after the rescue of the Turks, six days after they were abducted at a local bar at Gbale village in Edu Local Government Area of the state.
The four construction workers, Seyit Keklik (25), Yasin Colak (33), Ergun Yurdakul (35), and Senerapal (40) were received yesterday by the Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Kayode Egbetokun.
In the statement, the state government said it was elated at the freedom of the four Turkish nationals, just as it thanked God for crowning its efforts with success.
“The government thanks the security agencies and members of the vigilante groups for their efforts, and the locals for volunteering very useful information that led to the unconditional release of the abductees,” the statement read in part.
The government described the kidnapping of the Turkish nationals as a horrible crime against the innocent victims who had their freedom curtailed.
“The government also views the development as an assault on the peace-loving people of Kwara State and it will not go unpunished.
“The state government may, therefore, review and strengthen all relevant laws to ensure that anyone convicted of kidnapping is swiftly and severely punished in accordance with the law, keeping in mind the need to ensure the security of life and property in the state,” the statement added.
The state government, however, urged the people of the state to be vigilant and to report any suspicious movement or strange persons to the nearby security posts.
Speaking on their rescue, Mr Egbetokun said the police worked round the clock with local vigilantes to secure the release of the victims.
He said their efforts paid off with the arrest of a member of the gang which kidnapped them on Thursday, while another member was apprehended yesterday.
According to the police commissioner, this mounted pressure on the gang and forced them to release the captives unconditionally.
He disclosed that the kidnappers initially asked for a ransom of N400 million and later reduced their demand to N100 million.
Egbetokun, however, insisted that no ransom was paid for the release of the foreigners.
He noted that three suspects have been arrested so far while others were at large.
The police commissioner said the victims would be taken to Abuja after the doctor might have finished examining them.