Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje has announced the suspension of the planned debate between Kano-based cleric, Sheikh Abduljabbar Nasir Kabara, and some Islamic scholars.
Daily Trust reports that the debate was earlier scheduled to hold on Sunday, 7 March, 2021, at Kano Emir’s Palace but a Magistrate’s Court ordered the organisers to put it on hold pending its ruling on the matter.
In a statement issued on Saturday, Commissioner for Information, Malam Muhammad Garba, said government would obey the court order.
He urged the people of the state to remain calm.
Malam Garba said the Magistrate’s Court, presided over by Muhammad Jibrin on Friday, stated that its earlier order of February 8, 2021, which suspended Malam Abduljabbar from further preaching in the state should be maintained.
The commissioner added that Friday’s order was granted by the court pursuant to a motion on notice by Barr. Ma’aruf Muhammad Yakasai, who was seeking to be joined in the ongoing case.
Garba said the statement reaffirmed the Governor’s commitment to the promotion of religious harmony in the state.
Last month, the Kano State Government debarred Sheikh Abduljabbar from preaching over what it described as his “incendiary mode of preaching”.
The government also shut all his seminaries and banned media stations from broadcasting his sermons.
SUPPORT MUSLIM NEWS NIGERIA
With your generous financial contributions to MUSLIM NEWS, you are helping to sustain a culture of journalistic integrity that promotes tranquil Islamic values and ensures it remains free and available to all.
Rawshield PR Company
Guaranty Trust Bank
IN PICTURES: What led to the establishment of Muslim News, Nigeria’s most authoritative Islamic Newspaper