Ruling is backed by more than a dozen prominent Muslim scholars and calls on all Muslim countries to ‘review their peace treaties’ with Israel
Several prominent Muslim scholars have issued a rare religious decree or “fatwa”, calling on all Muslims and Muslim-majority countries to wage “jihad” against Israel after 17 months of devastating war against Palestinians residing in the besieged enclave.
Ali al-Qaradaghi, the secretary general of the International Union Of Muslim Scholars (IUMS), an organisation previously led by Yusuf al-Qaradawi, called on all Muslim countries on Friday “to intervene immediately militarily, economically and politically to stop this genocide and comprehensive destruction, in accordance with their mandate”.
“The failure of the Arab and Islamic governments to support Gaza while it is being destroyed is considered by Islamic law to be a major crime against our oppressed brothers in Gaza,” he said in the decree comprising some 15 points.
Qaradaghi is one of the region’s most respected religious authorities and his decrees carry significant weight among the world’s 1.7bn Sunni Muslims.
A “fatwa” is a non-binding Islamic legal ruling from a respected religious scholar, usually based on the Quran or the Sunnah – the sayings and practices of the Prophet Muhammad.
“It is forbidden to support the infidel enemy [Israel] in its extermination of the Muslims in Gaza, regardless of the type of support,” Qaradaghi said.
“It is forbidden to sell weapons to it, or to facilitate its transport through ports or international waterways such as the Suez Canal, Bab al-Mandab, the Strait of Hormuz, or any other land, sea, or air means.
“The Committee [IUMS] issues a fatwa requiring an air, land, and sea blockade of the occupying enemy in support of our brothers in Gaza,” he added.

His statement, which was also backed by 14 other prominent Muslim scholars, called on all Muslim countries to “review their peace treaties” with Israel and for Muslims in the United States to pressure President Donald Trump to “fulfill his election promises to stop the aggression and establish peace”.
‘We are being annihilated’
Despite repeatedly pledging to halt the war on the campaign trail and precipitating a temporary ceasefire shortly before he entered office in January, Trump reportedly “green-lit” Israel’s resumption of fighting last month.
Since reneging on the ceasefire deal, Israel has killed more than 1,200 Palestinians, including hundreds of children. More than 50,000 Palestinians have been killed since the war on Gaza began in October 2023.
On Friday, Israeli forces continued to pound the enclave, killing at least 30 people since dawn, according to local medical sources and Gaza’s civil defence agency.
The latest wave of bombings has targeted schools, shelters, hospitals, food centres, Israeli-designated safe zones and a water desalination plant.
The spokesman for Gaza’s Hamas-run Civil Defence agency, Mahmoud Bassal, said children and women were among the dead following the strike on Dar al-Arqam school.
He also said a woman who was heavily pregnant with twins was missing along with her husband, her sister, and her three children.
Images and videos of intense strikes across Gaza showed widespread destruction in densely populated neighbourhoods, as many Palestinians shared what they described as their final messages to the world.
Journalist Mohammed Abu Mostafa expressed his frustration with the international community in several posts, writing: “Goodbye to the most treacherous community in history. In a few hours, Gaza will be erased. You will only find us in heaven.”
Meanwhile, Palestinian activist and journalist Aboud Battah urged people to speak up about Gaza, writing: “Talk about us. By God, we are being annihilated in silence.”
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has vowed to intensify the offensive to pressure Hamas into further concessions.
“We are now dividing the Strip and we are increasing pressure step by step so they will give us our hostages,” Netanyahu said in a video message on Wednesday.
Netanyahu wants Hamas to release the 59 remaining Israeli captives in exchange for Palestinian prisoners and aid, but without Israel committing to end the war or pull out troops.
For a final ceasefire deal, Netanyahu insists Hamas must disarm – a demand the group calls a “red line” – and has openly backed plans for Israel to seize security control of Gaza and push Palestinians out.
Hamas calls for a return to the previously agreed three-stage ceasefire framework and has offered to free all the captives at once in return for a permanent ceasefire.
Source: Middle East Eye