Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, governor of Borno State, has given the assurance that the state government in collaboration with the federal government would in no distant time bring an end to insurgent attacks masterminded by terrorist groups in Borno State.
The governor disclosed this in an interview with newsmen on Monday, during his on-the-spot assessment after a gruesome and ravaging attack launched by anti-Islamic terrorist group, Boko Haram.
The attack which took place in Auno community, Konduga local government area of Borno State in the Northeastern part of Nigeria reportedly claimed 30 lives, leaving scores of residents and bypassers injured.
Gov. Zulum, who emerged the 2019 Muslim Person of the Year noted that the militants also abducted a number of women and children whose number is yet to be ascertained as at the time of filling this report.
“At least, 18 vehicles including lorries conveying food items were also razed down in the monstrous attack,” he added.
Muslim News learnt that the attack kickstarted at about 10pm local time on Sunday, with gunmen laying siege to major roads leading to Auno community, an area 24km away from Maiduguri town while ransacking neighbouring villages.
The attack lasted about five hours, bearing the hallmark of Boko Haram attacks. Among the victims, those killed were mostly motorists who were plying the road.
The governor also blamed men of the Nigerian military for the attack, saying that they were not usually on ground in Auno community that has always faced series of attacks by the Boko Haram terrorist group.
“I am being pushed to the wall to say the truth. Since my inauguration as the governor of Borno State from May 29th to date, Auno town has been attacked for about six times now. And the reason is that the military has withdrawn from Auno town.
“We have made repeated plea to the military to re-establish a base in Auno since it is one of the flashpoints of Boko Haram, but nothing has been done to that effect”, the governor said angrily.
“Please we are not here to fight or argue; the fact is that nobody was here,” the governor insisted as a troop’s commander tried to argue that they were on ground in Auno.
“There were no soldiers here; they have all withdrawn. We are not being confrontational or undermining the capacity of the Nigerian military, but the fact is that we have made several attempts for the Nigeria military to establish their unit in Auno but nothing was done.
“As soon as it is 5 o’clock and they closed up their gate, they abandon the people and move over to Maiduguri. You have to tell us if you are willing to establish your unit in Auno or not.
“If you are not willing to ask your soldiers to relocate and establish their unit in Auno so that the people here can return and live their normal lives, you can tell us, so that we can know what to do as a government,” he said.
Gov. Zulum further assured members of the community of bringing an end to the insurgent attacks especially masterminded by Boko Haram. He noted that the state government would work in collaboration with the federal government, advising locals not to take the law into their hands.
Meanwhile, Auno community had been cordoned off by the Nigerian military and police in a bid to forestall further attacks on the community.
Several Muslim Organisations in Nigeria have continued to condemn the activities of the Boko Haram, warning the media not to attribute the group to Islam as its doctrine of killing indiscriminately is antithetical to Islam.
By Abdullahi Abdulganiy
APPLICATION FOR 2022 HAJJ LICENCE AND SLOT ALLOCATION FOR TRAVEL AGENCIES
IN PICTURES: What led to the establishment of Muslim News, Nigeria’s most authoritative Islamic Newspaper
SUPPORT MUSLIM NEWS NIGERIA
With your generous financial contributions to MUSLIM NEWS, you are helping to sustain a culture of journalistic integrity that promotes tranquil Islamic values and ensures it remains free and available to all.
Rawshield PR Company
Guaranty Trust Bank